President Speaks out on Poverty
“The idea that so many children are born into poverty in the wealthiest nation on Earth is heartbreaking enough. But the idea that a child may never be able to escape that poverty because she lacks a decent education or health care or a community that views her future as their own, that should offend all of us.” President Obama on Wednesday December 4th in a speech on inequality and opportunity. Watch Full Video Here.
At KACAP, we agree 100%, and are committed to supporting the Kansas Community Action Network and all anti-poverty advocates in their efforts to strengthen our families, communities and economies. As your journey toward advocacy begins, start by asking yourself this question: If it were up to YOU, how would you split up income between the top 10% and the other 90%?
Reducing Poverty in Kansas
The relationship between policy and poverty in Kansas has received national attention on
multiple occasions. Most recently, Governing Magazine asked the question,
"Can Tough Love Help Reduce Poverty?,
focusing on Kansas as the model for State Administrations that believe that
by making assistance difficult to receive or keep, citizens will make more of
an effort to life themselves out of poverty.
KACAP, along with other strong Kansas advocates including the Kansas Health
Consumer Coalition and the Kansas Center for Economic Growth, were featured
in the October 31st article.
On September 6th, a task force charged with finding "a starting point for the
Governor and Kansas Legislature to address the issue of childhood poverty
in Kansas" released its recommendations to the public.
In response to that document, to which Kansas Community Action had no input,
KACAP Executive Director Tawny Stottlemire has released this statement:
"I am deeply disappointed in both the recommendations and the
process by which they were created. Poverty is an extremely complex
societal issue and it’s impacts effect every single Kansan. To believe
that four meetings involving a very narrow band of hand-selected participants
can produce a viable approach to reducing childhood poverty is short-sighted
and a disservice to our state. Real efforts to reduce poverty in Kansas
will focus on jobs with sufficient wages and benefits, commitments to programs
and services that temporarily assist struggling, low-income Kansans regardless
of their marital status, and promote a shared responsibility for ourselves, our
neighbors and community members."
At KACAP, we understand that economic inequality is a difficult concept to communicate.
This website is meant to be a portal for you to the tools, resources, and information
you need to understand poverty in your community and how the Kansas Community
Action Network is striving to end it.